Team Lebron balls up in the 2019 All-Star game

Nicole Felici, Copy Editor

The NBA’s yearly All-Star Weekend consists of various events, some of the most famous being the Taco Bell Skills Challenge, the MTN DEW Three Point Contest, the Slam Dunk Contest and the NBA All-Star Game. The 2019 All-Star Weekend was held in Charlotte, North Carolina and featured a variety of young players and seasoned veterans.
For the NBA All-Star Game, “Team LeBron” was captained by Lebron James of the Los Angeles Lakers and “Team Giannis” was captained by Giannis Antetokounmpo of the Milwaukee Bucks. The remaining spots on each team were filled through a draft of two rounds: round one being from a pool of starters and round two being from a pool of reserves. Many sports commentators and podcasters have noted that the captains’ choices in the draft, especially James’, may not have been to help win the game, but to help improve relations with exceptional players that will become free agents in the coming year(s).
Even if James had his eye on selecting soon-to-be free agents like Kyrie Irving and Kevin Durant, him and his team still managed to win the game 178-164. Team LeBron also left the court with many of the game’s highlights: Durant was awarded MVP and Dwyane Wade and James did their last alley-oop slam dunk. For the game’s half-time show, Meek Mill opened for J. Cole, whom Team LeBron was excited to watch.
The Skills Challenge was won by Boston Celtic Jayson Tatum, and Joe Harris of the Brooklyn Nets won the Three Point Contest. The Slam Dunk Contest featured Dennis Smith Jr., John Collins, Miles Bridges and Hamidou Diallo. This year’s lineup sparked some controversy amongst NBA fans, since it did not feature last year’s winner, Donovan Mitchell. Even so, these young competitors were able to pull out some iconic moves. Some of the contest’s most memorable slam dunks were Smith Jr.’s, where he repped J. Cole’s high school basketball jersey while leaping over the rapper himself, and Diallo’s, which featured him wearing a Superman t-shirt and clearing former basketball player Shaquille O’Neal (7’1’’) with a one-handed dunk that ended with Diallo hanging forearm-deep in the basket. Diallo’s impressive dunks, showmanship and total of 188 points from the judges sealed him the title of the winner of the 2019 Slam Dunk Contest.
The 2019 NBA All-Star Weekend had many unexpected moments and unforgettable highlights, making this year one of the most entertaining yet.