Athlete of the issue: Alyssa Irwin

Stefani Woll, Editor in Chief

Alyssa Irwin is a junior on Hart’s girls varsity soccer team. She was one of the two freshmen to make the varsity team her first year at Hart and has been an important asset to the team ever since. Irwin helps lead the team from the top of the lineup, playing both outside right midfielder and center forward.
She easily led the team in goals this season, scoring a total of 23 from the beginning of season to the end. In many of the league games, Irwin had the only goals, enabling some crucial victories for Hart’s perfect season of 10-0.
Irwin started playing soccer at six years old and has continued for the next ten years. She has been highly devoted to her sport since she was young and has played on three travel club teams in her career, those being FC Golden State, Real SoCal and her current ECNL team, LA Breakers. Irwin credits much of her success to her older brother, Trenton, her dad and her coaches.
“My dad and my older brother Trenton have definitely been key people in my success because they have spent countless hours working with me on my shooting and skills and it has made me a better player,” said Irwin.
The forward dedicates between eight to ten hours of her week to the sport. During both high school season and club season, Irwin has several practices a week and always finds time to practice on her own in order to work on improving her abilities.
Aside from being a respected athlete, she excels in her academic life as well. Irwin currently has a 4.8 GPA this school year, showing her pride in both soccer and school.
With her 23 goals this season, this has been the most successful year for Irwin out of her three years on the varsity team. The team was really able to come together this
year, and Irwin holds the team in a special place in her heart.
“It feels amazing to have a successful season because we all worked so hard in practice everyday and this team truly works really well together instead of just individually,” Irwin said. “This Hart team means so much to me because I love every single one of them and they just work so hard day in and day out that it inspires me to work just as hard.”
Irwin has also had success off the Hart turf on her club teams, including a last minute game winner in the Davis Showcase, a six-game tournament that the team had to come back from 1-2 in order to win.
Accomplishments such as these have shown how well Irwin works under pressure and have put her on top at Hart.
Irwin plans to play soccer in the future at a four year university and hopes for an athletic scholarship.
“[I want to play] at a place where I feel that I can really contribute to the team, and have fun while doing it,” Irwin said.