Living at home encourages laziness

Marissa Soto & Claire Moylan, News Editor & Features Editor

It’s not uncommon for young adults to live with their parents after college. With unnecessary student loans to pay and job applications to fill out, living in your parents’ house creates a comfortable and stable living situation.There is always food to eat and a bed to sleep in. It’s a perfect transitional stage between being a recent college graduate and an active, contributing member of society’s workforce. However, this stage of dependency should only be short term, not long term. According to the United States Census Bureau, 2.2 million 25 to 34 year olds out of the 8.4 million surveyed are unemployed and not in school. This is about 26% of people recorded in this survey. While this number seems fairly small, the primary problem with this situation is how that 26% is not in school and does not have a job. Without schooling or a job, these individuals are less likely to contribute to society and less likely to ever leave their parents’ home.

In the article, “Why Are So Many Young Adults Living With Their Parents?” from Psychology Today, certified psychologist Bella DePaulo explains why so many young adults live at home instead of living independently or in other living situations.

“In a survey of 18-24 year olds who had never left their parents’ home, four out of five said that they never left because they enjoy living with their parents and even more said that their parents make it easy for them to stay,” said DePaulo.

In short, living with parents is comfortable, so young adults don’t feel the need to get a higher education or find a job. By staying at home, their parents take care of them, as if they are still children, by providing groceries, taking care of finances, giving them a bed to sleep in and much more. Because of this, it is hard for these people to become self-sufficient and know what to do with themselves after it is well past the time for them to move out and start their own lives. These people are not contributing to society and are freeloading off their parents.

On the flip side, living at home is not a problem if the person in question is actively searching for his or her own place to live or finding a place to work. These individuals will become productive members of society and will eventually form their own lives separate from their parents. The problem lies with the freeloaders who wish not to do anything. In this case, living at home should be discouraged because it encourages laziness. The individuals who choose to live at home and reap the benefits for a long period of time without working act like overgrown children, and their unmotivated choices reflect that.