A letter to my high school self: Roy Loper

Back to Article
Back to Article

In this Smoke Signal  feature, the staff share  what they wish they could  tell their teenage selves. This issue, Roy Loper reminisces about his past and shares what advice he would give to his high school self.

In this Smoke Signal feature, the staff share what they wish they could tell their teenage selves. This issue, Roy Loper reminisces about his past and shares what advice he would give to his high school self.

Compiled Maddie Westbrook, Staff Writer

Dear Roy,
As I take this opportunity to write to you as your future grown up self, my first temptation is to tell you of all the mistakes you are going to make (if I could even remember them all), and save you from the pain and shame they will cause. I would want to shake you and say those things are not worth it. But, I know that they will all be a part of who you will become. Through those mistakes you will learn humility, compassion, empathy, and wisdom. But you will feel the pain and consequences as well.

I would also tell you not to lose sight of who you are at the very core of your being. Try not to let others pull you in directions you know deep down inside that you shouldn’t go. Also, try not to take yourself too seriously. It is a great gift and strength to be able to laugh at yourself and make mistakes in front of others and then own them. And I know you struggle with that. If at all possible, learn to be self-aware and try to understand how others perceive you. It will help you greatly in your relationships with others.

In a few years after you leave high school, you will become a believer in, and a follower of, Jesus Christ. He will change your life and become the center of who you are and how you view yourself and others. You will begin to be able to stop living only for yourself, and start living for a higher, better purpose. And I pray that you know that you are truly loved and how valuable you are, and someday that knowledge would set you free to love others and serve them as God intended.

You are also going to meet a wonderful woman whom you will marry and have awesome, wonderful children with. So don’t worry about whether or not you will have a future with someone. God has someone special just for you.
And by the way, you won’t do any of this life perfectly or even much of it well, but God’s grace covers a multitude of sins. Of course that’s not an excuse to behave badly. So keep trying, keep learning, and keep growing.
I will leave you with this Bible verse, “The Lord Himself goes before you and will be with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.” (Deut. 31:8)

With much love, your future grown up self,
Roy