Thousand Oaks shooting kills and injures many

Eileen Chen, Centerspread Editor

A mass shooting took place November 7 in Thousand Oaks, California, United States, at the Borderline Bar and Grill, a country-western bar frequented by college students. 13 people were killed, of whom nine were men were women, and 10 to 12 others were injured. Seven of the victims were college students, and another a recent graduate. The four others killed were 54 year old Sergeant Ron Helus, a policeman who had responded to the call; a 48 year old bouncer; a 33 year old Marine Corps veteran; and a 27 year old Navy veteran who had been at the scene of the 2017 Las Vegas shooting.

At approximately 11:20 pm, a gunman armed with a .45-caliber Glock 21 semi-automatic pistol shot a security guard outside of the restaurant. He then entered the restaurant and shot the other guards and employees, throwing smoke bombs and firing approximately thirty rounds. The restaurant was popular among students in the area and was hosting its College Country Night event. During the shooting, around two hundred patrons were inside the restaurant.

After authorities entered the building, the gunman was found dead in the kitchen area from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Police identified the killer as 28 year old Ian David Long, a United States Marine Corps veteran. Long was living with his mother in Newbury Park, but previously resided in Reseda with roomates. Long had purchased the weapon several years prior in Simi Valley. While Long had legally purchased the gun, he did not have a concealed carry permit. Seven high capacity 30-round magazines were discovered at the scene, which are illegal in California. Authorities are unclear on how Long obtained the magazines, but suspect that he purchased them in a neighboring state.

A vigil at Calvary Community Church was held for two of its congregation members who were affected by the shooting; around five hundred mourners attended the vigil. The funeral for Sergeant Helus was held November 15, with law enforcement officers, local and state leaders as well as local citizens attending.