Football punts away their League title chances

Kayla Badie, Staff Writer

Coach Herrington’s varsity football team’s league season has come to an end. The team

played five preseason games before their five league games. The team had a rough start

to preseason, losing their first game against Downy 33-21, but came back to win their next

two games against Arcadia(31-27) and Burbank (49-28). They lost the next game to Saint

Bonaventure with a close score of 39-36, but closed their preseason off with a big win of

38-7 against Ventura.

On September 28, the team played their first league game against Saugus High School. Hart lost this game, an upsetting defeat, 13-7. Unfortunately, Hart also lost the next game to Valencia, the pink out game, 34-7. Their next game against Canyon was a blowout for Hart, winning 59-7. The team also won their next game which was an intense battle against West Ranch 31-26. In their last league game, our Indians beat Golden Valley 60-27, giving them a record of three wins and two losses leaving Hart in third place in league.

Hart’s varsity team has ten graduating seniors this year; Michael Colangelo, Jacob Montes, Kyle Wiggins, Aaron Rodriguez, Ethan Blair, Jack McBride, Jacob Jaramillo, Diego Montes, Steven Cespedes, Conor Finley. A majority of these seniors have played for Hart since freshman year.

“It’s sad that it’s my last year, but I’m just making it the best it can be and leaving everything I have on the field,” said senior Jack McBride.

It’s clear that the seniors will be missed not only by the coaches, but the entire team. The players on Hart’s team have formed bonds that extend past the touchlines of the field.

“Our seniors play a huge role on our team. They really lead us on the field, but they’re like older brothers to us too even when we aren’t playing. They’re definitely going to be missed a lot next year,” said varsity sophomore Hadi Maaz.

Although Hart may not have had their best season, the team has their heads high looking forward to CIF playoffs. On a statistic/ranking based program called MAXPREPS, the varsity team is predicted to place 11th in CIF.