Talk about what matters

Marissa Soto, News Editor

The other day my aunt got a call about my cousin from his school. They told her my cousin had got in trouble.. She had thought that he had done something bad, but in reality he had done nothing wrong at all.. he principal told my aunt that what he did  should never to be done again.

So, what did he do to warrant a call from the school and a request to never do the action again?

He talked about God to his peers.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances,” states the First Amendment of the Constitution.

If Congress cannot make a law against the freedom of speech and the freedom of religion, why can the school enforce something that allows students to not have those rights?

I understand that people have different beliefs, but public schools should not be able to tell any student, no matter what religion they are, that they can not talk about their beliefs to other students at school. Isn’t it the diversity of different cultures and beliefs what makes this country so amazing?

Tolerance is a word that a lot of people throw around right now. But this is not tolerance. This is a slap in the face to the First Amendment and everything it stands for. We can’t suppress the beliefs of one another simply because we don’t agree with them. That isn’t tolerance. That isn’t right or just. It isn’t “offensive” if someone disagrees with you. It’s offensive to discriminate against people who want to discuss their beliefs. Our country was built on principles that meant something back then, but mean even more now.