A letter to my high school self: Mrs. Mohsen

Compiled by Ian Duncan, Staff Writer

Dear High School Me,
I know everything seems so overwhelming right now, but you need to take a step back and remember that the mistakes you make now are not going to define you when you get older. Not even a little bit. Stop trying so hard to be the person you think you’re supposed to be–you’re only 17! Just breathe and give yourself a break. You need to allow yourself to take a little time and space to grow into who you’re meant to be instead of who you think other people want you to be. You’re not even going to know vaguely who you are until you’re in your late-20s, so just chill. It’s okay to be confused.

Spend more time following the news. Pay attention in your classes and stop socializing when your poor teachers are trying to teach. Join clubs and take AP classes. Get serious about your education. You’re going to regret not getting involved in school. The people who have been trying to push you have good reasons for doing so. It’s a pretty weak excuse to not try simply because you’re afraid of failing. Everyone is afraid of failing. You’re not unique.

One thing is certain: you need to be nicer to your parents. All of these “friends” you love so dearly right now really aren’t going to mean much to you in a few years. Your parents will. You will regret that you didn’t spend more time with them in your teen years, but they’ll forgive you. Believe it or not, you’ll have a pretty great relationship with them once you get older, but you’ll wish it hadn’t taken you so long to let them into your life.

Speaking of parents, I want to leave you with this most important piece of advice: put down the tweezers. For the love of everything good in this world, stop plucking your eyebrows. Your mom might be super annoying and naggy, but she’s right when she says that you shouldn’t touch your brows–they’ll never be the same after you pluck them. Take it from me, the 34 year old version of you. Your eyebrows will never grow in thick ever again because you insist that you want them to be razor thin right now. That look is so late-‘90s.
Sincerely,
A Better Version of You