Senior Advice

Mansi Sharma, Editor in Chief

After being at Hart for almost four years, my personal experience taught me things I wish I knew as an underclassmen. Here are some pieces of advice I would have appreciated when I was younger.  

1. As cliché as it is, GET INVOLVED. In my experience, I joined the tennis team and the journalism class my freshman year. It may be sad to grow apart from old friends, but through these organizations I’ve made some amazing friendships and all of the people I’ve met have similar interests. However, even if you are a sophomore or junior, it is not too late to participate in clubs and events. My sophomore year, I created a club with my best friend and knowing that I left a legacy behind at Hart with people I never thought I’d talk to is fulfilling.
  2. Challenge yourself and don’t underestimate yourself.  If you are planning on going to a four-year university, take as many AP classes or honors classes you think you can handle, but don’t be afraid to challenge yourself because most people rise to the occasion when they are forced to be responsible and manage their time well.
  3. Your appearance does not matter. No one is going to care about the one outfit you wore five weeks ago. Everyone is so preoccupied with themselves that they don’t realize the embarrassing thing you just did.
  4. Live by the 5-by-5 rule. Whenever you are in a difficult or embarrassing situation ask yourself if something will matter in five minutes and then see if it’ll matter in five years. Based on your assessment, you can see whether something is worth worrying about.
  5. Don’t use OFL to take classes! They count as a normal class or four points whereas COC classes, like health, count as five points like an (AP or Honors class) so they boost your GPA rather than harm it.
  6. Don’t be worried if your friend group of five years grows apart. It will happen if you all have different interests. It’s okay though because with sports and other extracurriculars, you will make tons of new friends, but to meet them you have to follow the first piece of advice.
  7. Learn to be politically active. Even if you know nothing about politics or don’t like it, try to ease your way into it. You may not realize it currently, but the future of America is in our hands. If you develop a stance at a younger age, you can only grow to make it more accepting.
  8. Don’t be rigid with your perspective. Respect that other people have different opinions and political views than you. Listen to what other people have to say because it will help you become more open-minded.
  9. Stop hesitating. If you’re debating between whether to or not to join a class or club, just do it and see what happens. You can always back out of something, but sometimes you may find your passion in the unexpected.
  10. Keep your eye on the prize, but have fun. You can still go to games and dances while maintaining your homework load. You may have to sacrifice going to a party or a school event every now and then, but when you remember what your end goal is, it will be worth it.

Sincerely,

Mansi Sharma