Girls tennis serves up success early in League

Back to Article
Back to Article

Stefani Woll, Editor in Chief

The Hart varsity girls tennis team started league September 11, 2018. The team was expecting an easier win during their first match against Golden Valley but an extremely competitive tennis player who transfered from Alhambra was unexpectedly added to Golden Valley’s team. Despite the increase in competition, Hart was able to pull out a victory. September 13, Hart played a match against Valencia High School. Valencia, who has placed second in league the past couple of years, gave Hart a competitive match at home. Many of the doubles teams were able to have close games, but unfortunately none of the teams ended with a win. The singles players on the team faced more difficult challenges playing Valencia, with  junior Cameron Schwartz, one of the co-captains, being the only player on the team to win a set, leaving

Hart with a devastating loss of 1-17.

The girls went on to play Saugus September 20 at Saugus’ courts. For the past few years, Saugus and Hart have had many tight matches as they compete for the spot for third in league, following West Ranch and Valencia. The match came down to a two set difference, leaving Hart celebrating as they left with a 10-8 win. The team considers this a crucial victory due to how close the matches between the two schools always are.

Aside from Hart’s two of three wins in league, Hart posed a successful preseason. The team won several matches in preseason and have played two tournaments. The Fall Brawl tournament hosted at Valencia took place September 22. Only the top two singles and doubles teams were invited from each school. Mansi Sharma, senior co-captain, placed first in the consolation bracket, but the rest of the team struggled to gain a title.

“This team is like my family. Everyone is so kind and caring to one another. Having a team where everyone gets along makes it so much more fun and enjoyable,” said senior Emily Thompson.

Thompson has been on varsity for three years along with Sharma, Shannon Sindle, and juniors Cameron Schwartz and Zoë Witherspoon. The team consists of five new players, but expectations are still high in the eyes of the team.

“This year I expect us to make it to CIF. We have a strong team that I think is going to do very well this year,” Thompson said.

Hart’s three singles players are Sharma, the number one singles player, Schwartz, number two singles, and sophomore Bella Cornejo, number three singles. The three doubles teams consist of Thompson and Sindle at number one, Jennifer Russel and Stefani Woll at number two, and the number three team is Witherspoon with either Marti Kass or Lauren Hannah. With six seniors on the varsity team, Hart will be expecting a very young team in the years to come, but they will use their experience to their advantage during league this year.

Each of the girls differs in preference between doubles and singles, which allows the team to be strong in both categories.

“I enjoy playing doubles because I get to go out on the court every single day with one of my best friends, Shannon Sindle, and just have a great time. Playing doubles is so much fun because I always have someone with me, cheering me on  and motivating me to keep fighting even if we aren’t winning,” Thompson said.