Monetization of college

Marissa Soto, News Editor

As we’re nearing the middle to end of our high school years, there is an important decision we have to make. This decision requires hours of thinking, writing and applying. This decision  makes us stressed out and think about every detail of our lives for the many years ahead. Applying for college is stressful, but deciding whether or not to even go to college is even more stressful. Is going to college even worth it in the long run? All that money and time for a piece of paper that suddenly gives you the power to be eligible for hundreds of more jobs that you couldn’t get before? Well, it’s worth it.

College can open up many job opportunities and potentially lead to making more money. Just a few of the many jobs that require a college degree are a nurse, mechanical engineer and accountant. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, as of 2017, registered nurses’ median pay was about $70,000, while a mechanical engineer’s median pay was $85,880 and an accountant’s median pay was $69,350. A few jobs that don’t require a college degree include a pharmacy technician who made a median pay of $31,750 in 2017, a water treatment specialist who made a median pay of $46,150 or retail sales workers who made an annual income of $23,370. I’m not saying that every job that requires a college degree is going to offer more money than every job that doesn’t, but it most cases they might.

However, college should only be something you attend if you want to. It all depends on your interests. If your dream job doesn’t require a college degree,  pursue that job or lifestyle. If it does, then go to college and earn that degree. I’m not saying you have to go to college to be successful, but in the long run, it may help.