Hart Girls Golf

Chris Keuchguerian, Staff Writer

Hart’s girls golf team started their season August 21, at El Cariso against Burbank High School. The team has four returning varsity players: Emma Allen, Tyra Boozer, Megan Silver and Amerisse Lopez, along with three players from last year’s JV team and five new freshmen.  

“[Freshmen] Sophia Yi, Peyton Grider, Alexandra Boog, Ellie Bradley and Amanda Carrasco are all improving and making great contributions,” said coach Steve Lindberg.

Throughout the past years, the team has always struggled against West Ranch, who is one of the team’s biggest rivals. The team practices at Vista Valencia golf course every week in preparation for each match.

Boozer, a proud member of the girl’s varsity golf team, has been playing for only two years. Boozer first decided to join golf because it was new for her and she wanted to play something she has not in the past.

“[I’m] looking forward to improving my scores this year and as a team hopes to make it to CIF,” said Boozer.

Boozer says the team in general loves to spend time with one another, whether it be having some giggles at practice or off the golf course. The team has gained a nice record by winning many foothill league championships. The team has won league in 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 and CIF championships in 2008 and 2009.  

The team consists of twelve girls. Since the team has a record of getting to the CIF championships, it is likely that an event like this is to happen again.

“You just have to stay focused and hit your clubs right,” said Carrasco.

Carrasco also mentions how the team keeps a close touch with each other and how overall it has been a positive experience for Carrasco.

The team is also remarkably dedicated to achieving their personal and team goals. The Many of the team members play golf outside of the scheduled practices and sometimes even on the weekends. This is the type of mentality that is needed in order to create a long-lasting CIF-ready team. The team is really competitive, though all the players know to manage their time and prioritize to achieve all of their goals.

“We are always looking for three things; having fun, making friends, and getting better at a very difficult game. Our preseason goal is to make CIF team play and hopefully have one or two girls make CIF individuals”  said coach Lindberg.