Dance team brings the heat

Leah Badie, Staff Writer

Hart Dance Team has girls with varying ages and talents. There is a total of 23 dancers on the team who are coached by Katherine Leist. The team includes seven freshman, seven sophomores, four juniors and five seniors. The team spends first and second period  in the small gym practicing and perfecting dance routines. The girls are continually taught more choreography and through this they begin to master new skills.

The dance team members are learn routine every week. These routines are performed at home football games during halftime and during rallies.

One huge event for dance team is Homecoming. During the month of Homecoming, the dancers perform a dance they spend a majority of their practice time working on. Today, the team is performing at the Black Light Rally.

“Hart Dance team is a very bonded team… [we] all enjoy being around each other and spending time together,” said sophomore Gianna Echeverria.

Earlier this year, the team attended the West Coast Elite (WCE) Convention Dance Camp. The camp was hosted in the Great Wolf Lodge Hotel in Anaheim. Other local high schools, such as Saugus and West Ranch, attended the WCE camp as well. The girls went to numerous classes to learn different styles of dance.

Throughout the day, they would be split up by levels, but practice altogether later on. They met at 8 a.m. and finished dancing at about 7 p.m. They were fed breakfast, lunch and dinner. The girls roomed with their parents in different hotel rooms. The WCE camp was a great yet taxing experience for the dancers.