I learned a few kind of cliché high school lessons

Jino Chough, Senior Editor

A familiar scene: 18 year old boy dons his cap and gown, walks down the football field, receives his diploma, goes to college. And so on. Aren’t we ready for it all.

As I was writing this opinion, I was trying my best to think of final farewells that aren’t cliche. But I was never really one for… ah…. useful innovation. So here we go.

1. High school is pretty much nothing like anything you see in movies. First of all, your peers aren’t 26 year old actors, and a good portion of them are shorter than you by a good 3 inches. And if they’re not, you’re probably the one who has yet to hit your growth spurt.

2. Real friends are great.

3. Teachers really appreciate healthy sarcasm. The good ones, that is.

4. Studying is actually worthwhile. Most people would say “Your grades don’t matter as much as your wellbeing” or whatever, but the reality is, if you want to go to college or succeed in the conventional routes of life (and there’s a good chance you do if you’re reading the newspaper), your grades matter quite a lot. I’ve met a lot of seniors who regretted their past years in high school.

5. Most the assignments you receive from your classes, even from your AP classes, teach you how to do one thing: B.S. But that’s a good thing. If I could major in B.S.ing in college, I would be a professor right now.

6. Reading book is actually fun. Start with The Berenstain Bears Go on Vacation, if you’re not feeling Hamlet.

7. Pizza is the food of the gods.

8. So is Chick-fil-A.

9. If you’re in a position of power, rule with an iron fist. Establish a freaking dynasty.

10. Make friends with people who can drive. Those people are your lifeline as an upperclassman.

The main point is, high school ended up just being an experience for me. A very prolonged experience where I met awesome people, met not-so-awesome people, did crap I’ll look back on with fondness and did crap I’ll wish I could purge from my memory. You might think that’s unfortunate. I can’t really argue with you to be honest, if you’re one of those happy-go-lucky, life-is-great, namby-pamby people. But I’ve always been pretty realistic about things. But despite all of that, there is still a lot to be grateful for (people do tell me to be more positive, after all). Thanks to all the teachers at Hart, even, like, 2 of you taught me in the way I needed. And thanks to all of my peers for making my life interesting, to say the least. God knows I could go without some form of entertainment.

After four years, 23 issues and more than 50 articles, I don’t think there’s a lot that I can say that I haven’t already said. Normally, I’d say, “The rest is silence.”

But I hope to God there’s more to life than silence.