Senior Advice Column: September

What’s up Hart! To those of you who are new to the school, welcome. And if you’re an old face to the campus, such as myself, we’re glad to have you back, kind of. This year is going to be a tricky one, and it already has been. So as one of your new Editors-in-Chief of The Smoke Signal this year, I’m going to give you some advice about the year and just share some of the things that I’ve learned throughout the past six months of quarantine as well as the past three years of high school. I’ll throw some random pro-tips in there for you guys too.

First off, I want to start with general housekeeping. This applies to everyone. Study and work habits are very important! Make sure, especially in the beginning of the year, that you are getting on top of your work and creating good habits for yourself. Trust me, your future self will thank you. However this is coming from a pro-procrastinator and someone who is already suffering from senioritis, but nevertheless I speak the truth. If your habits are struggling right now, there is still time to fix them! It doesn’t matter how far gone you think you are, you can push through! 

As for the whole quarantine situation we’re all currently in, don’t stress too much about it. Some days are better than others, that is true. One day could be perfectly fine and the next it feels as though the world might end. It’s a constant rollercoaster. And that’s okay. Use this time to learn new things, spend time with your family or even do some deep self reflection. Or even if you are unable to do any of these things, sometimes a break from things is what we need. I know personally for me, before quarantine I was constantly busy and stressed. I barely slept and never made time to take care of myself. Quarantine forced me to step back and take a look at what I value and what I’m doing. Don’t get caught up in the mundane routine of life! So many things can change, and sometimes that is what is necessary to keep us humble. And I know, it isn’t fair. Events are cancelled, people pass away and the country is in chaos. But what are we going to do about it? Are we going to sit in our rooms and sulk about a high school prom getting cancelled? Or are we going to look on the bright side and be thankful for what this time has brought us? Today I am closer with my family than I was six months ago. I am also more rested. I am also more thoughtful than I was six months ago. I am not a routine zombie anymore. I look forward to new things everyday. Are you any different? Just some food for thought.

To wrap up my very first senior advice column, I want to talk to my fellow seniors. Hey guys and gals. Some of you may know me, some of you may not. Either way, we’re all in the same boat. Junior year got cut short, summer was lame and now senior year is already on the rocks. I’m here to tell you that it’s okay. I can’t promise it’ll get better, because frankly I do not know if that is the truth. But what I do know is that our class of students is one of the most persevering classes there ever has been. We’ve always been the “guinea pig” class. We were the first class to take a shot at common core in elementary school, the first class to experiment with the science standardized test in junior high and now our class of 2021 is the first class to begin our senior year via distance learning. This is a drastic change from what we are used to. It’s difficult for everyone. Something I know about each and every one of us, whether or not I know you personally, is that we have pushed through some of the hardest trials of our generation. This is just another one of them. Even if the entirety of senior year doesn’t turn out how we hope or expect it to, in the grand scheme of things, we’ll be okay. There are more things to look forward to in life. Whether it be pursuing a career, having a family or traveling the world, our senior year won’t have too much effect on how that all plays out. So let’s think positively about our situation and always remember that no matter what, this too shall pass.