Athlete of the Issue: Ashley Cosey

Ruby Duncan, Copy Editor

Ashley Cosey is a senior starter for the girls volleyball program at Hart. She has been playing as an outside hitter for all four years, and she is planning on continuing her volleyball career after high school.

“I am planning to play at San Francisco State University,” said Cosey.

She was recruited by many colleges but she decided to sign with San Francisco State University. At San Francisco State University, Cosey’s plan is to major in biology, where she will then go on to study physical therapy or another part of the medical field. Her college of choice has a Division 2 women’s volleyball team.

“I am most excited to meet my new teammates and to play volleyball at a higher level,” Cosey said.

Cosey has been a part of the Hart girls volleyball program for all four years of high school. She was on the junior varsity as a freshman and then on the varsity team for her sophomore, junior and senior year.

“Volleyball has helped me be a better leader on and off the court. I used to be really shy, but Hart volleyball made me come out of my shell,” Cosey said.
Cosey has recently broken the record for the most amount of kills someone has gotten in a match. She set the record of 25 kills; it was previously held by her teammate, Megan Soto, with 22 kills. Cosey is also in the running for the school record for most amount of kills a player gets in a season. As of the end of league, Cosey has 224 kills; the current record is 262 kills, which means Cosey is only 39 kills away from breaking two school records.

Many of Cosey’s teammates have said that they look up to Cosey as a player, a person, a friend and a leader.

“I look up to her because her hits are so hard and they always go straight down. Every time I see her play, it makes me want to have a hit that strong,” said sophomore outside Megan Soto.
Entering the California Interscholastic Federation, the Hart girls’ volleyball team is determined to break school records, especially Cosey’s record.

“I am thrilled that Ashley is in reach of breaking her second school record of this year. I’m so excited that she is rising up to the challenge and getting the recognition she deserves, she is truly a great competitor to watch,” said senior captain Makenna Fall.

This season has truly been such an eventful season for the whole team, but an especially a great one for Cosey.