Athlete of the Issue: Jacob (J.T.) Shrout

CAPTION%3F
CAPTION?

CAPTION?

CAPTION?

Ryan Benz, Staff Writer

Growing up, JT Shrout was a big athlete playing baseball, basketball and soccer. Shrout started playing football when he was in seventh grade and by his freshman year, he knew football was what he wanted to do for the rest of his life.Growing up, JT Shrout was a big athlete playing baseball, basketball and soccer. Shrout started playing football when he was in seventh grade and by his freshman year, he knew football was what he wanted to do for the rest of his life. Shrout comes from a long line of family that have attended Hart High, including both of his parents and his grandmother. With the familial history at Hart, it is very important to him to be able to make his family proud, along with the rest of the school.

“It’s awesome to be playing at my family’s school having both parents here and my little sister Jen here is also a special memory that I will cherish forever,” said Shrout.

Becoming the starting quarterback at Hart has not been an easy road for Shrout.  He played Varsity football his sophomore year, and learned what he could from starting quarterback, Nick Moore. When Moore tore his anterior cruciate ligament (ACL)  in a league game in 2015, Shrout stepped into the quarterback position. Unfortunately, in the first half of his first start for Hart, he broke his ankle and fibula.

But this is Shrout’s year.  In his third year on varsity, it is his turn now and he is determined to lead his team.  Shrout started Hart’s home opening game against Downey.  Although the team ultimately lost, Shrout put up some good numbers with 282 passing yards and two touchdowns.

When asked about Friday’s game, Shrout responds, “Starting Friday night was an exciting experience that I’ve waited for a long time. It was fun to compete with my friends,” Shrout said.

However, nothing has been given to Shrout. Last year, for most of the season, he played behind former Hart quarterback Moore. While most people would have transferred to another school to get more playing time, Shrout put his head down and got to work. A few months ago, Shrout wasn’t getting a ton of exposure. He wasn’t certain he would even get a Division 1 offer.

After months of hard work, Shrout ended up with ten Division 1 offers. Playing PAC 12 football has been a long time dream for Shrout so when he saw University of California, Berkeley, the number one public university in the world, he knew that he had found a home. Shrout also particularly liked the coaching staff and loved the relationships he built at Cal.

“I am super blessed to call myself a Cal Bear,” Shrout said.

This season, Shrout has put up impressive numbers. Currently, he has 527 passing yards with four touchdowns. He has also put up a strong Quarterback Rating at 87.3.

It is no secret that Shrout has a very bright future. In college, he plans to major in business.

“I don’t know what my future holds, but I’m a firm believer that God will put me in the right situations in life,” said Shrout.