Football looks to plow through competition

Hart Football runs across the field before the game to pump up the student section.

Connor Lee, Staff Writer

To start off the season, Hart High’s varsity football team dedicated their game against Downey, which took place on the College of the Canyons field, to Collin Gore. The game was dedicated to Gore due to the events of July 4. Gore was heading home when a 34 year old man came speeding down in the opposite car lane and caused a head-on-collision with Gore. To start off the season, Hart High’s varsity football team dedicated their game against Downey, which took place on the College of the Canyons field, to Collin Gore. The game was dedicated to Gore due to the events of July 4. Gore was heading home when a 34 year old man came speeding down in the opposite car lane and caused a head-on-collision with Gore.

Our Indians worked hard and used every bit of energy in their body to keep up the score with Downey. Unfortunately, their efforts were not enough and they lost the game 42 to 35. JT Shrout, Hart’s starting quarterback, began the game off with a rushing touchdown and finished it 26 for 40 and 282 yards. He had three touchdowns in total of the game after being backup quarterback for the past two seasons. In addition, Shrout contributed to the team’s defensive performance with two interceptions.

“I thought he did a good job and he has a long way to come,” said Hart coach, Mike Herrington of Shrout’s performance.

“For him, my expectations were very high and he made a couple great plays and a couple plays I was disappointed in,” Herrington said.

Hart varsity hosted another game on September 15 for homecoming.

Despite their efforts, they were unable to come home with the win and lost the game 38 to 44. Hart started the game off being down 20 to nothing, but in the second quarter, Hart came back and continued fighting until the end. Shrout ended the game with 14 passing completions and 184 yards. As a team, Hart performed well ending the game with a total of 260 yards. Unfortunately, we could not match Antelope Valley with them having a total of 420 yards. However, our quarterback, Shrout, had a better quarterback rate than Antelope Valley’s quarterback, Caden Hinton. Hart also lead the game with more interceptions having three and had more receiving yards in total with 184 yard while Antelope Valley had a total of 165. Despite these losses, the team is optimistic about the upcoming season. Players from the team are look forward to bouncing back and adding wins to their record.