Student Spotlight: Rohit Pulipaka- Rubik’s Cube Master

December 4, 2017

Pulipaka is showing off his Rubiks cube skills on campus

Rohit Pulipaka was nominated and chosen by the Smoke Signal Staff for Student Spotlight because he was noticed as someone that stands out because of his cubing abilities. Students recognize his ability to solve a Rubik’s cube and have seen him around school doing so. Pulipaka is a great example of what practice can accomplish.

Q: What do you like to do in your free time?

A: I like to learn or study new things such as math problems.

Q: Are there any hobbies you are proud of?

A: I really like to solve the Rubik’s cube and I also like to play ping pong.

Q: Are there any accomplishments you have achieved from your hobbies that you’ve found to be exceptional?

A: When I initially started [solving Rubik’s cubes] I was solving maybe five to six minutes, but I have gradually gotten that down to forty-five seconds. I like how I made the change there.

Q: How did you get into Rubik’s cubes? How old were you?

A: When I was in seventh grade, I went to India and my aunt bought me a Rubik’s cube. So from then, I started learning how to solve it.

Q: What was your first cube? How many different cubes do you have?

A: Currently, I have only one that I solve. But over the past five years, I’ve owned about four cubes.

Q: What have you done to improve your solving time?

A: I sometimes take videos of myself and see some flaws I have and compare them to the skills that professional cubist Feliks Zemdegs has, and I try to improve.

Q:What do your friends and family think about your cubing?

A: Since most of my friends can’t solve one themselves, they think it’s pretty cool. My family are also astonished that I can actually solve one.

Q:  What’s the most challenging cube to solve and why?

A: I have only solved 3×3 cubes. I have seen larger ones and personally, I feel solving a 7×7 or and 8×8 cubes are pretty challenging. This is because to correctly position every piece takes a lot of time, effort, and patience, which are all hard to have.

Q: How does it feel to know that students at Hart notice you as the Rubik’s cube kid?

A: It’s pretty cool. I never really thought people would notice me in that way and give me a name with it.