The Good, the Band and the Ugly

Eileen Chen, Photo Editor

The Hart Regiment had their first competition October 14 at Northern Arizona University’s Band Day. Their performance took place in the university’s Walkup Skydome. Presenting their show entitled Cinema, the Hart Regiment received awards for Outstanding Musical Performance, Outstanding Visual Performance, Outstanding General Effect, Outstanding Percussion, Outstanding Auxiliary and was the only competitor to receive a rating of Superior.

“This competition was just the first step for us. From here we can only get better. I’m really excited to see what we do with the show as we improve and grow together as a band and as performers through the rest of the season,” said senior flute soloist Melanie Lamb.

Hart Regiment competed for the second time October 21 at West Ranch High School’s Wildcat Classic, an annual competition hosted this year by Valencia High School. The band received a total score of 82.70 and won Caption Awards for Music Performance, Visual Performance, Auxiliary, Percussion and Colorguard.

“With every competition we bring with us a legacy, a legacy that only the Hart Regiment has upheld. Every time we march out there, Hart shows all the other regiments what we can do. We show heart out there, and that has made all the difference,” said senior sousaphonist and Brass Captain Shaq Chiamthamachinda.

Hart Regiment’s third competition of the season took place October 28 at the Bands of America’s California Regionals. Competing against sixteen other bands, the Hart Regiment made it into finals as one of the top ten and ultimately placed seventh with an overall score of 76.7.

“The performance started stressful as the school busses did not arrive on time. Thankfully the organization accommodated for the band and allowed us to perform at a later time. With a solid performance, we advanced into finals where we placed seventh later on in the night,” said senior clarinetist and Wind Captain Eduardo Perez.

The Hart Regiment hosted Rampage November 4 at the College of the Canyons. The competition was an all day event featuring 35 bands. Despite being excluded from winning any awards or titles, the Hart Regiment received a score of 86.6 from the event judges.