Classics Corner

Claire Moylan, Staff Writer

Appetite for Destruction by Guns Na�� Roses

1. Welcome to the Jungle
  2. It’s So Easy
  3. Nightrain
  4. Out Ta Get Me
  5. Mr. Brownstone
  6. Paradise City
  7. My Michelle
  8. Think About You
  9. Sweet Child Oa�� Mine
  10. You’re Crazy
  11. Anything Goes
  12. Rocket Queen

Year album produced: July 21, 1987

Appetite for Destruction was Guns Na�� Roses first album together. The title was to reflect how the band was filled with young, irresponsible adults that would do drugs, drink and occasionally get arrested. Duff McKagan, the bassist, wrote “It’s So Easy.” Izzy Stradlin, the rhythm guitarist, wrote “Think About You” and “Anything Goes.” Lead guitarist Slash, along with McKagan and Steven Adler wrote the song “Rocket Queen” when they were in the band Road Crew. Lastly, “Mr. Brownstone” was written by Slash and Stradlin to warn about how addicting heroine can be.

Appetite for Destruction is a strong first album for Guns Na�� Roses. It spoke of drugs, alcohol and other societal taboos in the 1980s. The album’s songs have the customary rock and roll vibe with the lengthy solos interjecting at different spots throughout the song. Some songs were not as energizing or invigorating due to its’ slower rhythms and unintelligible lyrics. Despite its flaws, Appetite for Destruction topped charts in August of 1988 and has songs appearing on the radio. These include “Welcome to the Jungle” and “Paradise City.” Overall, it is a solid playlist.

“It’s kind of one of those songs when you hear it on the radio you turn it all the way up and start screaming the lyrics,” said freshman Nicole Felici.

“Guns Na�� Roses is an enjoyable band that I listen to from time to time,” sophomore Thomas Cummings said.